Thursday, November 19, 2015

Meet Norm & Jasen

The St. Cloud Country Club offers much more than just great golf. We also have a first class kitchen, with first class cooks. Head Chef Norm Maish and Assistant Chef Jasen Merkel, among others, make the dining experience at our club delicious and exceptional. We put Norm and Jasen under the spotlight, asking them a series of questions about themselves. Here is what they said:

5.jpg

Norm Maish
Head Chef
4.jpg
How did you get started in cooking?
I have always loved to cook. I have cooked in various restaurants in St. Cloud area. 10 years ago when my Mom passed, I went back to school for a culinary degree, in order to support my sister. Ever since I have had a passion for cooking.

What do you like most about working at the Country Club?
The people, everyone is so welcoming and inviting. The staff, and the members as well, everyone is really nice here.

What’s your favorite dish to make at the Country Club?
Stuffed chicken with the cherry brandy sauce.

What’s your favorite Country Club dish to eat?
The Reuben.

Hobbies outside of cooking? What do you do in your free time?
In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my two daughters. I enjoy watching them play their sports. I also like to fish and hunt.

If you could be any food in the world, what would you be?
Tiramisu.

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life?
Crab cakes.

What’s the most satisfying part of your job?
Knowing that the customer is satisfied with the food that they are getting, as well as seeing their reactions when tasting the food I cooked for them.

How do you like your steak?
Medium rare.

How do you like your eggs?
Over medium.

Cooking disaster story?
It was the St. Cloud State President inaugural, I was cooking for the event, and I had some student helpers. I accidentally forgot about one student working in the freezer for 3 hours. Luckily there were a few ovens nearby, so we could heat her back up.

First meal you have ever cooked?
Sausage and eggs.

Gordon Ramsay or Rachael Ray?
Gordon Ramsay.

Cooks choice: If you had to recommend one meal at the country club, what meal would that be?

The prime rib.


Jasen Merkel
Assistant Chef
3.jpg
How did you get started in cooking?
I started as an accountant major, got a basic job as a dishwasher, and decided to change my major to culinary arts.

What do you like most about working at the country club?
The member oriented culture. I get to know each member on a personal level. It is great to see the same customers each week and get to know their personalities.

What’s your favorite dish to make at the Country Club?
Seafood, salmon.

What’s your favorite Country Club dish to eat?
Bang Bang shrimp tacos.

Hobbies outside of cooking? What do you do in your free time?
I enjoy training my two dogs, hunting, fishing, and traveling. I also enjoy trying different breweries with my wife.

If you could be any food in the world, what would you be?
A sauce, because sauce is versatile, it can pair with different kinds of food, and is universal. If I had to be a specific kind of sauce I would be a spicy sauce.

If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life?
Shrimp.

What’s the most satisfying part of your job?
Pleasing the members.

How do you like your steak?
Medium rare.

How do you like your eggs?
Over easy.

Cooking disaster story/worst nightmare?
Getting ready for Mother's Day brunch and having ¾ of your staff call in sick.

First meal you have ever cooked?
Honey cashew chicken.

Gordon Ramsey or Rachael Ray?
Gordon Ramsay.

Cooks choice: If you had to recommend one meal at the country club, what meal would that be?

Bacon wrapped scallops.


Now that you know more about Norm and Jasen, make sure to stop in next season to try some of their dishes! Many are unaware that our restaurant is open to the public during the season, and we often host many fun events and dining specials in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. To learn more about our restaurant and event services, visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment